The Morrisville Free Library has been a grass-roots effort since it first opened its doors in 1904. That was in Mrs. Bertha Peaseys front parlor on Banks Street. The library was opened one night a week and the entire collection consisted of books on religion. Since then the Morrisville Library has been housed in various buildings in downtown Morrisville. At times, the library had to close its doors. But over the years many good friends of the library have stepped up to the plate and kept the dream alive. These visionaries who volunteered their time and efforts have insured the continuance of the Morrisville Library for future generations.
In 1906 the library moved from Mrs. Peaseys home to the basement of the Borough Council Building located at the time on the corner of Washington and Chambers Streets. Volunteers went door to door to promote the library and in 1907, one hundred and sixty-seven patrons paid $1.50 membership fee. Dances were also held at the William E. Case School to raise money to keep the library going.
In 1923 Thomas B. Stockham, Jr. and Rev. Seaver M. Holden formed a Morrisville Library Board of Directors and the library moved into the newly built Morrisville Community House on the corner of Pennsylvania and Palmer Avenues.
The Morrisville Womens Club was another group that took responsibility for the running of the library. The Community House became too small, so another move was in order. On October 3, 1963, the library moved into the basement of Summerseat. By 1966 the library was already outgrowing its new location. Members of the Morrisville Womens Club went door-to-door collecting signatures for a referendum that proposed the purchase of the Episcopal Church on Pennsylvania and Palmer Avenues, which would become the new home Morrisville Library. The referendum passed, and this is where you will find the library today. This beautiful old church with its original stain glass windows and ornate woodwork found a new purpose. With help from local scout troops and many other volunteers, the Morrisville Womens Club organized the move to this new location in October 1968.
Today the Morrisville Free Library has a collection of well over 25,000 items and a patron base of 7,000 plus. We have computer access for the public and offer a myriad of programs for children and adults. We work with local schools, senior centers, and daycare facilities. Because of the Access PA Program, our patrons can borrow materials from anywhere in Pennsylvania.
2004 marked the 100th anniversary of the library founding. We celebrated with a big birthday bash for the whole community. We remain grateful for the foresight of those men and women who came before. And we are proud of our long and noble history. We pledge to keep the Morrisville Free Library serving the people for another 100 years.